REALQUALITY RQ-CMV is a diagnostic CE-IVD kit for the identification and quantification of the DNA of Human Cytomegalovirus (CMV) by Real time PCR.
- The device is validated on DNA extracted from various samples types
- The assay requires only 5 µL of DNA extracted
- If used in combination with the REALQUALITY RQ-CMV STANDARD, it allows the quantification of the viral DNA present in the sample
- The assay shares the same thermal profile of the REALQUALITY Infectious diseases kits
- Validated on main Real time PCR instruments
- The assay includes dUTP/UNG system for preventing carry-over contamination and a fluorescence normalizer
- The automatic format of the assay can be used on GENEQUALITY X120 platform
- Easy interpretation of results with AB Genius Report software
- Ready-to-use reagents for Real time PCR
- Internal control (amplification of beta-globin gene - BG)
- Positive control (DNA containing fragments of the CMV genome and the BG gene)
For further informations
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) belongs to the family of herpes viruses; it is a ubiquitous virus with a very slow replication cycle, and after primary infection it remains dormant in the body for life.
In most healthy individuals, whether paediatric or adult, the disease has no symptoms, although in some individuals it may cause a slight feverishness, sore throat, fatigue and swollen lymph nodes. The preferential sites of viral replication in humans are the lungs, liver, kidneys and gastrointestinal tract. The virus is continuously eliminated via the saliva, breast milk, seminal fluid, urine, cervical and vaginal secretions, tears, faeces and blood.
Relevant aspects of CMV infection are related to congenital infections and immunocompromised patients. The virus can be transmitted from the mother to the foetus in the event of a primary infection during pregnancy, during passage through the birth canal, or through breastfeeding (perinatal and neonatal infection), causing intellectual disability and deafness.
CMV infection is also clinically relevant in immunocompromised patients, such as organ transplant recipients and people with AIDS. In these cases, the determination and monitoring of the viral load are fundamental to the clinical-therapeutic decision.
Why use a Real time PCR assay for CMV?
The investigation of CMV using Real-Time PCR (polymerase chain reaction) is essential for the detection of congenital infection, the timely identification of viral reactivation in organ transplant recipients and their subsequent follow-up.
This product uses technology patented by Biosearch Technologies, licensed for use in Human Molecular Diagnostic applications.